website counter

Friday, October 30, 2009

Nature vs Nurture...Solved!

I am going to try and follow any negative post with a happy positive post. Halloween is a great holiday. Kids love it, adults are allowed to be wacky for one day a year, it is just a whole lot of fun. And witnessing Holloween through the eu=yes of a child is by far the best. My two kids are both enthralled with the holiday. My daughter, Ruby, is going to be Belle (who is a Princess according to her) and will be wearing a pretty yellow dress with pretty ruffles and pretty shoes and her hair will be done to look pretty as well. There is a theme here- my daughter loves being pretty, and pink, and barbies, and princesses. In short, she is a girlie girl. My son, Kale, is going to be a Power Ranger. Anything that gets to punch things, look powerful, and make lots of noise is a costume he would like. He could care less about putting clothes on or shopping, he only cares about the fun and practical uses something can give him. In short, he is all boy. Now I have discussed the whole nature vs nurture thing in college classes and with friends over the years, and we have never truly solved the dilemma of what is more important to a persons life: nature or the genetics a person is born with or nurture- the environment a person is raised in. My two kids have solved the problem for me. Nature, or genetics, is definitely the more important of the two. We try to raise our kids as to not give in to all of the gender biasses. I tell both my kids to be tough when they fall and have spanked them both for misbehaving. How on earth did one child fall in love with pink and shopping and princesses and the other have no desire for any of that and all he likes to do is play rough and shoot things? Genetics! It is solved. Now I know everyone is effected by their surroundings as well, so in my scientific analysis of nature vs nurture I will give nature 64.7% and nurture 35.3%. You can use these figures in your research if you like. Have a great Friday!






Student quote of the day in US Government: We were studying the constitutionality of burning the American flag when one student said, "No way, you can't burn a flag, it's like burning a bald eagle."

No comments:

Post a Comment