website counter

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Being a father

Being a father is a job that nothing prepares you for.  Over the past few days my 4 year old son has ticked me off 2 times for two accidents he could have avoided.  Example number one occurred at my in laws.  He was walking around outside when I heard him screaming, he came running to the house with a boot missing.  I realized he had stuck his foot into a bucket full of gas!  you heard it right, a bucket full of gas, now who keeps a five gallon bucket of gas lying around?  That is beside the point, who willingly puts their foot in a bucket of gas?  I got angry to say they least.  In a few moments Kale was crying and profusely sorry, I threw his boots outside and when I did, he had put his gas covered pants in with a load of clean laundry!!  I was mad all over again.  Kale cried some more, and I threw him in the shower and that was that.
Example number two occurred right outside my classroom.  I had a few groceries to get, glass olive jars were among them.  After shopping, I stopped at my room to take care of a few things.  Kale got bored and irritated and went to the Jeep by himself.  I took a few more minutes and then went out.  I saw Kale with something in his hands, when I opened the door I could smell what it was.  He had banged two jars of olives together and broken them.  I was furious!  The car smelled, he was soaking wet, needless to say Kale was crying and profusely sorry again.

The scary part of this story for me is this:  I remember my dad getting angry with me, and I feared him, and still do to a point.  However, I also remember my dad telling me he loved me, giving me great advice, and just doing things great dads do.  I just hope I am giving my son the right mix of fear and love.  I didn't realize how great my dad was until I was a dad myself, so I may never know.  I know one thing, I am going to let my dad know.

No comments:

Post a Comment